I highlighted all the books from my personal shelf.
This is all the library books I finished this month: https://themollyweather.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/library-checkout-reviews-9-10/
Currently Reading/Finished books I do not own
- The Lightning Saga Finished
- The Bloody Benders Finished
- The Walking Dead vol. 2
- Wonder Woman Odyssey, vol. 1
- Bad Girls
- Annie of Green Gables
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover
- The House of Caine
- The Swiss Family Robinson
- The Emperor’s Pearl
- The Good Earth
- Bleak House- I did a rant about the entire experience. https://themollyweather.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/bleak-house-readalong-i-xi-dnf/
- Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance
- Mermaid Saga volume 1
- A Beautiful Blue Death
- Instruments of Darkness
- American Psycho
- The Icarus Girl
- Crazy Rich Asians
- Critique of Criminal Reasoning
- A Once Crowded Sky
- Mists of Avalon
I think Misery ruined my reading with its getting to the good stuff right away. All these other books seem to be meandering around. I want to care. I don’t want to have millions of reasons to dnf books. But It is easy to dnf books when you are bored/not invested. I got despaired and a bit saddened with just the sheer amount of books I have been dumping in January, the first month of the year. I have to keep remembering that this is me. I dnf books on this level almost every month. It just gets wearing at times having to be disappointed again and again. I thought this year I would make better book choices that I could avoid dnfing as many books.
My ratio of 4 dnfs for every 1 finished book is still a thing.
- First Men in the Moon- not H.G. Wells best.
- Misery- horror why did I not get more into you sooner?
- All Together Dead- not the best in the series.
Previews Extravaganza https://themollyweather.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/previews-extravaganza/
I reviewed all the books in my library checkout.
I did not mention Horns and Dune which, I dnf. I did not feel like getting Things Fall Apart and Who Fears Death because they both do not appeal to me right now. Books are boring me right now. I just want a good fantasy/horror/mystery novel that is unique and written well.
- Do you regret reading books? I was thinking about this recently when I was drafting a post about the worst books I read in 2013. The specific book was Gone with the Wind. As much pain and suffering I went through I do not regret Gone with the Wind. I feel that out of every worst book I read this year I regret none of them. I feel that I get something out of every book I read. Even if it is a simple I need to stop reading x genre.
- Booktube Problems. I have been seeing a lot of videos on the problems that are prevalent in the booktube community. I may not agree with everything some people are saying but I support the community getting more critical and getting out of its bubble. I have been a part of the community (just watching) for many years so I have many things that bother me about the community. I think the biggest thing is this idea that anything critical is mean. The entire thing that happened a couple of years or so ago about book bashing. It bothered me that people feel that giving a rant or saying anything slightly negative is mean. I’m really enjoying videos such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLxovtFYo3E and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ewGKWM1h8 who both sum up my overall criticism of the community. I think That both of these videos are also are things that I had to realize as a reader being apart of the book community.
- You Cannot have x thing in a book and think that is enough. For example I have recently been reading books with diversity in them. I have been dnfed all the books with diversity in them. My brother asked me why I have been doing that. Just having diversity or something I want is not enough to make a book great. It has to have all these other elements to make me finish all the way to the end. To assume that I have to finish or enjoy every book that has diversity is giving a pat to authors who do stereotypes or who just put one thing for points. It lumps the authors who do the bare minimum a pat on the back. It is nothing to just have a non-default character. It is amazing to have a dimensional, interesting, non-stereotype different race character who is not just there for points.
- Lack of Creativity: It depresses me that the problem that plagued me last year is rearing its head again this year, the lack of creative fantasy books. I even would settle non-creative if it could only be interesting. It defeats the purpose being a fantasy novel if the only thing you are going to do is focus on kingdom stuff. I got so dejected that I started brainstorming a fantasy novel. The thing is that I do not want to be a writer. I want authors to be creative enough so that I don’t feel that I have to write to get all the imagination out. What I’m reading right now bores me.
My Books Left to Read Status: I am at 124 books all together including the 80 desert island books. On the subject of my 80 desert island books I might lower the number to 50. In light of my experience in this month I don’t want to leave room for duds. If it is not a classic or an author I like, it is not going on the list. I dnfed about the same amount I usually do in a month. I thought how is it that some people can know if a book can work for them while I can’t. I am questioning if it is okay to still be dnfing books at this amount even when I changed my reading focus. It really bothers me that I still have not gotten a good creative fantasy and mystery novel. I want to have more enjoyable reading but where do I go to get interesting novels? The only genre that seems to be doing anything special is horror.
Plans for February
- Ask myself while picking a book does this really sound good? What is this about?
- I think I need to get into non-fiction. I am going to start with my brothers books he is getting for class on women in royalty. No, it is not going to be exclusively England royalty so I hopefully will not be ranting.
- Reading less novels for a bit which, sucks in the point that I won’t probably be finishing any books I own in February. I just am not feeling novels right now.
(I can already say since I am posting this a couple of days into February is a better month so far. )